A new study conducted by researchers at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute concluded that terminal patients who chose to die at home with hospice had a better quality of life than people who passed away in the I.C.U. There was less fear and less pain. The patients and caregivers that sought aggressive treatment reported a higher anxiety and discomfort level. Some suffered symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder.
I don’t think this is really startling news for many. It’s a personal choice but this study reinforces the positive aspect of avoiding aggressive treatment. When a person decides to die peacefully at home when they know their time is running out they are often rewarded with a more peaceful and fulfilling end.
Why Is Hospice Care At Home Better?
For many of us, nothing can compare to the feeling of safety and comfort that we find by being at home. Even an animal will try to make it home to die. Many of us would prefer to die at home if that is at all possible and fortunately with organizations like Hospice to support our decision, we can get what we wish for. Not only do we have the option of staying home, we also have their support to be as pain-free as possible.
For me, quality of life is more important than quantity. That being said, I’ve never walked in the shoes of someone facing these decisions and none of us can really say what choices we’d make if faced with such a decision. Maybe this study will help some of us be strong and help us make our decisions for our own end of life.
What Are The Purpose Of Hospice Care?
I’ve had my own personal experiences with Hospice. With both my parents, Hospice was there to help make the end of their lives easier and more comfortable. The goal of Hospice is to enable people to die at home with the least amount of pain.
What Does Hospice Do?
They come into the lives of people that are going through one of the hardest times of their lives. We don’t have instructions or directions on what to do and most of us have little experience in helping someone to die. People don’t want to or don’t know how to face or discuss the end. When Hospice comes into the picture, it’s as if they are your guide.
They not only help the patient but also help family members. Hospice is there when you have questions and to comfort you. They were there for our parents. They enabled us to talk about the end of life in a compassionate but yet factual way. We’re all going to die but no one wants to talk about it.
Don’t hesitate to bring them into the picture. Yes, bringing Hospice into the picture is admitting the end is coming but it can make a difficult time much, much easier.
What To Read Next?
✅ Ideas for seniors in financial trouble
- Must-Know Top [year] Websites For Boomers And Seniors Life Planning
- 7 Solutions To Common Financial Issues Faced By Senior Citizens – [year]
- Senior Relationship Issues: Marriage Vs Living Together After 60
✅ Home improvement & remodeling for the retirement home
- Baby Boomers Retiring: Does The Market Understand Their Characteristics?
- Geriatric Care Management: What Does a Geriatric Consultant Do?
- Easy Home Improvement Projects To Sweeten Retirement Lifestyle
✅ Help for seniors with disabilities and special needs
- Planning For A Healthy Lifestyle For Older Adults ([year]): START HERE
- Planning For Retirement Life: [year] Most Detailed Handbook For Assisted Living Centers – Pros & Cons
- How To Help The Elderly With Vision Problems? Gadgets For Seniors With Poor Eyesight
✅ How can you be at peace with others?
- [year] Top 10 Ways To Spoil Your Grandchildren Right: Meaningful Activities And Projects To Do Together
- Single And Retired What To Do? 21+ Ideas
- [year] Stop Elderly Abuse: The Fact And Ways Of Prevention
✅ What to do when feeling bored and lonely?
- Single And Retired What To Do? 21+ Ideas
- Word Games For Seniors To Do: 15 Anagrams And Answers To Train Your Brain
- Songs, Fashion, Styles And All The Awesome Things We Miss From The 70s Memories
✅ How to stay mentally and physically healthy for older adults?
High Contrast Large Print Computer Keyboard ???????? See Current Price There is a lady I met while visiting someone in a rehab center. She has a computer and loves to email...
Consumer behavior is one of the most important factors that marketers spend a lot of time pondering. Demographics, geography, psychographics, among others, all play a vital role in determining how...